Thursday, April 30, 2009

News Flash: Acid Reflux Caused by Too Little Acid, Not Too Much...

I don't think I will ever forget the reaction on a patient's face when I first mentioned this information about a year and a half ago. After I told her 95% of heartburn is caused by hypochloridia (too little stomach acid), the lady said, "If that's true then why would my [medical] doctor give me this antacid?" My answer was simple, "Probably because of one of two reasons; 1) he never studied nutrition, or 2) he was getting too nice a kickback from Big Pharma." In retrospect, I guess the most likely answer would have been both 1 and 2.

In Ohio, I'm not licensed to give recommendations to alter prescriptions (thankfully), but it is very common to be able to stop taking antacids after adding some natural acidifiers to the diet. At Hilltop Wellness & Chiropractic, we carry excellent sources of probiotics and betaine hydrochloride (which I take). If you have any questions about this topic, feel free to call the office and set up an appointment to discuss this, or anything else that may be of interest to you.

In the meantime, take a look at this short video and feel free to leave your comments or feedback on the blog.

In Health,
Dr. Scott
www.hilltopwellness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment